I began my career in the Forest Products Industry in 1972. My experience started in a Stud Mill in Willits California for Georgia Pacific which was later spun off as Louisiana Pacific about the same year. As I was assigned to various jobs in the mill I was finally given the opportunity to learn grading and from that time forward It’s been my quest to learn all I can and to help others.
From the Stud Mill I was transferred to a Random Length Mill in Potter Valley Ca. This was due to a night shift curtailment. At the time I felt a disappointment but later discovered this was just opening up more doors of opportunity. This mill was a White Woods large log operation. With the grading experience I had at the stud mill and my constant asking to learn more about grading I was given an hour per day in the grading room. This is where I was first certified in The National Grading Rule for Joist and Planks. I also gained extensive knowledge in the Pine Shop, and Board grades.
After about four years at the Potter Valley mill I was asked to take a position as a grader in a mill at Ukiah Ca. This was also an LP Mill. This mill ran most all the softwood species for the area including Redwood. Within 3 years at this mill I became a Fully Certified Pine grader certified in All NGR Grades, Pine Shop, Commons, Selects. I was also certified in Redwood.
In 1980, I was offered a position as a lumber inspector with West Coast Lumber Inspection Bureau (WCLIB) I worked for WCLIB for almost a year and was then offered a position back with Louisiana Pacific as a Division QC Supervisor and a few years later Division QC Manager of the Western Division. During this time I conducted numerous manufacturing schools and Lumber grading and Lumber Handling classes throughout Northern Ca. I also traveled to different customers throughout the US working with sales groups and also working with claims. My last years with LP were duties of Reman Operations Mgr.
In 1998 I was awarded the Master Lumberman’s Award through WWPA In 1998 I decided to try something different, I started a consulting business. I traveled to New Zealand, Russia, Canada, Chile and Venezuela teaching Grading and Lumber Manufacture.
One of the companies I consulted for hired me as a Lumber Trader and I traded lumber for Rayonier for approximately 7 years. Soon after, Rayonier decided to get out of the Lumber Trading business I applied for a position with Warm Springs Forest Products where I was responsible for all Quality Control issues for that facility. This included; grader training classes, daily lumber inspections, packaging Specs, and working with Japanese, Chinese and domestic customers. This mill was heavy in export and required me to become proficient in export grading rules. I chose to retire here at Warm Springs but within a year decided to become an affiliate of ATICA.
For the Past three years I’ve worked with WMATCO (White Mountain Apache Tribe} in White River AZ. In this capacity I was responsible for training graders and insuring tally and packaging correctness. I was also instrumental in setting up dry yards and lumber storage for inventory. With the help of other ATICA Affiliates we were able to develop detailed visuals of lumber grade information on YouTube for remote viewing by potential & current customers. Often the customers would buy based upon the YouTube when ordinarily an expensive and time consuming trip would be required.
- ATICA Affiliate 2013-current
- Vanport International, Quality Control, 2012
- McCutcheon Consulting, LLC, Quality Control, 2011
- Warm Springs Forest Products Industries, Quality Control, 2009-2010
- Rayonier, Inc., Lumber Trader, 2000-2008
- Self-employed Lumber Consultant, 1998-2000
- Cascade Pacific, Jasper, Or, Lumber Buyer, 1996-1998
- Louisiana Pacific, Eureka, CA, Operations Mgr. - Remanufacture Western Division, 1995-1996
- Louisiana Pacific, Eureka, CA, QC Manager of Western Division - 10 Sawmills and 2 Remans., 1980-1996
- Western Lumber Inspection Bureau, Inspector, 1980
- Louisiana Pacific, Ukiah, CA, Lumber Grader, 1972-1980
- Master Lumber Certificate WWPA
- Certified Lumber Grader-WWPA, WCLIB and Redwood Inspection Service
- Efficient in Export Lumber Grading for Japanese Markets
- 30+ yrs. experience in lumber manufacture and grading
- Supervised 10 employees as QC manager of LP Western Division
- Consulted and trained lumber graders in Mexico, Chile, New Zealand and Russia
- Compiled and presented weekly QC Grading and Size check reports to Division Mill Mgrs.
- Conducted numerous mill studies for overrun and grade recoveries
- Handled claim resolutions for Louisiana Pacific, Western Division
- Proficient with PC E-mail, Word and Excel
- Master Lumberman WWPA
- Fully certified lumber grader through WWPA and WCLIB
- Captain of Fresno State Football Team 1971
- Reedley Junior College Hall of Fame member-Football
- Fresno State College, Fresno, CA
- Reedley Junior College, Reedley, CA
- Attended Dry Kiln School at Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR