GLC Lumber Production Consulting Inc.
President of Atica, Mr. Cantrell brings over 40 years of timber industry experience to the alliance. As President of GLC Lumber Production Consulting, Inc. Cantrell has been instrumental in the feasibility studies, planning, financing, design, development, start up, product marketing and management of a number of lumber and sawmills in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Russia and the United States of America.
General Manager: White Mountain Apache Timber Company (WMATCO)
In March of 2011 Atica was contacted by WMAT Tribal Chairman, Mr. Ronnie Lupe to evaluate restarting FATCO, a large Tribal-owned mill in Whiteriver, Arizona. In May of 2012 the White Mountain Apache Tribe Council approved a resolution requesting Atica to assist to obtain financing to restart the mill.
Partnering with Ochoco Inc., the WMAT Planning Department and Breckenridge Consulting of Seattle, Washington; the partnership was successful in obtaining New Market Tax Credit financing. On September 06, 2013 CCML of Connecticut, RDP of Iowa and US Bank in San Diego provided US $41.6 Million, of which US $9.8 Million was earmarked for the sawmill capital expenditures (CAPEX), repairs and start-up working capital. The remainder of the funds were used to purchase timber cutting rights for the newly formed entity WMATCO.
WMATCO sawed it's first log on February 04, 2014 with additional projects under way for improvements and optimization of operations.
Project & Operations Management: Warm Springs Forest Products Industries (WSFPI)
In Q-1 of 2008 WSFPI issued WARN-notices in preparation to permanently shut down. With the process management and project expertise of Atica, Inc., WSFPI was brought back to a sustainable and profitable single-shift operation. Work was done to convert WSFPI from domestic commodities to high-quality Japanese post and beam construction components marketing by Vanport International of Boring, Oregon.
Notable products include:
- 90mm x 90mm DF & HF KD S4S Squares
- 105mm x 105mm DF & HF KD S4S Squares
- 120mm x 120mm DF KD S4S and HF Green Squares
Among the multitude of improvements completed from 2008 to present, projects of note include US $3.2 Million in process upgrades.
- Conversion of single-cut 6-ft Headrig to a double-cut Headrig, with new scanning, optimization & PLC controls from USNR of Woodland, Washington
- New custom-designed Timberline for Japanese Hirakaku Beams
- Inline Wagner moisture sensing for the planer
- Installation of fully optimized USNR Reman-Head Edger, partially funded with a $200,000 Energy Trust of Oregon grant obtained by Atica, Inc. for WSFPI.
- Conversion of the EDLF 15 inch capability to a 20 inch diameter capability
- Atica designed and installed a twin horizontal micro-band resaw system exclusively for Japanese Square production.
In 2012 WSFPI was awarded a US $4.66 Million USFS ARRA (American Recovery Revitalization Award) Grant. This allowed Atica Inc to provide additional project management on a number of Cogeneration Plant projects.
- Atica designed and built a complete new ash handling system
- Demolition of 4 boilers and building of a new custom designed 14,000 sqft Fuel House and biomass waste handling system
- Rebuild of the No.2 3.0MW Turbine
- Complete rebuild of two (2) 40,000 lb. Wellons fuel cells
- Streamlined operations of the fuel house, boiler and turbine controls to a centralized location
Second stage due-diligence: Global Environmental Fund Projects in 2006-2008
Transaction 1: Sawmill facilities with 60,000 HA owned by Monte Alto in extreme southern Argentina
Transaction 2: Figeaza properties plantation pine in northern Argentina
Project Manager: Trillium Corporation of Bellingham, Washington
Lenga Patagonia projects in 2006-2008
Punta Arenas, Chile (Zone 12): Hardwood mill upgrades highlighted by conversion of single-cut Headrig to a double-cut Headrig which improved quality and productivity by 60%
Terra del Fuego: Construction of Greenfield Hardwood Lumber Mill Facility 60 KM north of Ushuaia, Argentina
General Manager: Port Angeles Hardwood, LLC.
Developed and built a Greenfield Alder Hardwood Lumber Production Facility in Port Angeles, Washington. Received honors recognition by Governor Christine Gregoire and US Senator Maria Cantwell for outstanding project leadership bringing needed jobs to a seriously depressed economic zone: US $35.8 Million
Project Manager: Washington Alder
Cogeneration feasibility study and successful Request For Proposals (RFP) to Puget Sound Energy for 18MW biomass cogeneration facility in Mt. Vernon, WA.
Project Manager: Yakama Forest Products
Feasibility study, design, and construction management of Greenfield Pine/Fir Large Log Sawmill Facility US $36.9 Million, also doing a feasibility study for 16MW Wood-Fired Cogeneration Plant
General Manager: Aracruz Productos de Madeira.
Feasibility study, design to full production of a Greenfield Eucalyptus Hardwood Sawmill Facility for Aracruz Celulose S.A., S. Bahia, Brazil; Recognized by Aracruz Board of Officers for outstanding project: US $39.1 Million. After which Weyerhauser purchased a majority share, taking over management and marketing (lyptus brand lumber) worldwide.
VP & Project Manager: Primorskiiy Lumber Co. / Gutchess Intl. Inc.
Feasibility study & construction management on Hardwood Sawmill in Dalnerinchensk, E. Siberia, Russia US $21 Million. Clients also include: Weyerhaeuser, Willamette Ind., Crown Pacific Partners, LLP; Hoopa Valley Tribe of N. California, Kinzua Resources, LLC, Colville Tribes of Washington State, Gutchess International, Inc., Bid Comact, Ltd., Global Environment Fund, Hawaii Island Hardwoods, LLC, Trinchera Ranch-Colorado, AGSA-Mexico, Wallowa Resources, LLC, Hermann Bros., Inc. ; Riocell Celulose S.A.; Lausmann Lumber & Moulding Company
Site Management Work
Including: F&F Products, Maywood Industries, Brook-Scanlon, Inc., Diamond International, Cavenham Industries, DAW Forest Products, LLP, Bohemia, Inc., Willamette Industries, Sierra-Pacific Industries, Port Angeles Hardwood, Warm Springs Forest Products Industries, White Mountain Apache Forest Industries.
Academics & Training
- BS Financial Management Degree work at Linfield College
- Forest Products Management Program, Oregon State University
- Accounting Degree work, Central Oregon Community College
- Zenger-Miller Frontline Leadership Certificate
- Pursuit of Excellence Certificate
- Award: California Lumberman's Association - Safest Sawmill in California >150 employees, Lincoln, California 1990
- Award: California Lumberman's Association - Safest Sawmill in California <100 employees, Grass Valley, California 1990
- Award: California Lumberman's Association - Most Improved Safety Program - Lincoln & Grass Valley, California 1988 - 1991
- Received US Congressional Nomination to US Military Academy, West Point, NY;
- Brooks-Scanlon Certified Timber Cruiser